by Sarah Tritsaris, Co-Founder Puppy Gang Fresh Foods
Skin irritations and skin infections in dogs are some of the most common issues our customers tell us about. They are always asking, can food allergies contribute to my dog’s fur and skin health? The answer is absolutely, yes!
Skin is the biggest organ in your dog’s body. The food your dog eats can be a huge contributor to their skin and fur health.
What are the causes of dry skin and a dull coat?
Your dog’s poor skin and fur quality could be caused by a number of factors:
- Skin infections: fungal, bacterial or parasitic infections can cause skin irritations, including flaky skin
- Allergies and food intolerances
- Dietary deficiencies such as omega-3 fatty acids
- Mineral deficiencies, such as calcium, potassium, iron and zinc
- Colder weather tends to cause drier fur
Your dog’s diet and their skin condition
All dogs have the potential to have a soft and smooth fur coat! Your dog's diet will make a significant impact on their skin and fur health. Just like us, dogs need a balanced diet made of whole foods. Nutrients in whole foods provide naturally sourced macro and micro nutrients that dogs need, unlike processed foods, such as kibble.
One of the key issues with processed foods is the cooking process. The whole ingredients are cooked at such high temperatures, that they lose the vitamins and minerals in each ingredient and are supplemented with synthetic vitamins, preservatives and additives which can be harmful to your pup and their skin quality.
The balance of ingredients is important too. Your pups food should have approximately 40-50% protein, made up of muscle meat, organ meat, and calcium, and the remainder fruits and vegetables. Too much of any one ingredient doesn’t provide the nutrients your pup needs in their diet (and can potentially cause other issues in your pup’s health). Its also important to note that a dog may present, as an example chicken allergies in processed food, but in reality it is the preservatives that causes the allergic reaction, and your pup may be ok with chicken in its natural form.
The Puppy Gang Fresh Foods difference
Puppy Gang Fresh Foods meals have been developed with a holistic veterinarian to provide your pup with the balance they need to live a longer and healthier life. There are many benefits to Puppy Gang Fresh Foods meals:
- Our food is steamed to preserve the nutrients of each ingredient
- Turmeric curcumin is in each meal to help as an anti-inflammatory
- We exceed the AAFCO standards
- Each of our ingredients are of the highest quality
- No preservatives, additives or ingredients that you won’t recognize
- Nutrient cycling through our different meals are available so that you can provide your pup with the macro and micro nutrients they need in their diet.
- High quality ingredients that will help your pup avoid or overcome skin irritations and allergies.
Try Puppy Gang Fresh Foods today!
Not only are our meals healthy, they are delicious too (you can even try them since they are made from human-grade ingredients). They will make meal time easier for your pup and you can have peace of mind for the health and well-being of your furry best friend. Want to try our human grade dog food? We are offering 50 percent off our 7 pack trial here.