The Truth About Processed Food
As a society we have come to rely on foods that are quick, easy and convenient. The same is true for our canine companions. We’ve been learning more and more about the dangers of processed food on human health and the same principles apply with processed food for our pups.
Our recent blog on the Canine Obesity Epidemic outlined that over 50 percent of dogs in North America are overweight and how diet plays a large role in this.
Things to know about kibble:
- Many kibble brands contain a variety of preservatives and additives in order to give them a long shelf life.
- Kibble lacks moisture, leaving your pet in a constant state of dehydration (to learn about the necessity of moisture in your pup’s food check out our blog post here).
- Kibble often contains high levels of carbohydrates (often more than 50 percent!) in order to bind the food. These are often simple carbs which have little to no nutritional value. Dogs don't need these carbs, and they also cant digest them properly.
- Kibble goes through a process called extrusion meaning the ingredients are heated at such a high temperature that they are stripped of nutrients
- Processed food is inextricably linked to obesity and diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
Why feed your dog a gently cooked diet?
At Puppy Gang Fresh Foods we gently cook (steam) our food to the minimum temperature required to kill the bacteria and preserve the nutritional benefits of the ingredients. We use only high quality proteins, fruits and vegetables and natural supplements in our food that you could eat yourself!
Some of the benefits of a gently cooked diet include:
- Increased mobility (particularly important as your pup ages)
- Improved dental hygiene
- Weight management
- Improved digestion
- Shinier, healthier skin and coat
- Alleviation of allergy symptoms
- Better stools in size, colour and smell
- Higher energy levels and stamina
- Strengthened immune system
- Improved liver, pancreatic and bowel health
What if I can’t afford to feed my dog gently cooked food?
Studies have shown that even using gently cooked food as a nutritious topper (by adding it on top of your existing food) for your dog’s meal can help them reap the benefits of a gently cooked diet and improve the health and overall wellness of your pup. For example, a study conducted on Scottish Terriers (who as a breed are prone to bladder cancer) found that by adding green leafy vegetables to the dog’s existing kibble diet reduced their risk of bladder cancer by 90%! So as a dog owner you can feel good about using Puppy Gang Fresh Food meals as either a whole meal or a nutritious topper!Our pups rely on us to make their meal choices for them. Puppy Gang Fresh Foods strives to provide optimum nutrition to keep our dogs as young and healthy as pups as long as possible and ensure our meals have the variety of nutrients dogs need.